- This is a procedure performed by a trained endoscopy specialist which enables direct examination of the inside of the colon using an endoscope.
- Colonoscopy is the gold standard method for examining the colon and allows biopsies to be taken, removal of colonic polyps and prevention and diagnosis of colon cancer.
- Other conditions which may be diagnosed at the time of colonoscopy include Crohns Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, diverticular disease and haemorrhoids.
- Preparation for a colonoscopy involves cleansing the bowel for 2 days prior, including a special diet and bowel preparation (strong laxatives designed to safely empty the colon of bowel motion).
- Gastroscopy involves examination of the lining of the oesophagus, stomach and small bowel using an endoscope passed through the mouth.
- Preparation involves drinking water only for 6 hours prior, and nothing to eat or drink for 2 hours prior to the procedure.
Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy are performed at Manuka Street Hospital, 36 Manuka Street, Nelson. This is a boutique, state of the art private hospital in central Nelson.
Dr Anticich will perform your procedure, and discuss your results afterwards with you, and plan your treatment and follow-up. Most patients will choose to have intravenous sedation, which is provided by a specialist Anaesthetist.
Endoscopies are performed as daystay procedures, expect your length of stay to be 2 -4 hours. Following your procedure, you will be provided with a light snack, tailored to your dietary requirements. It is required to have someone drive you home if you have chosen to have sedation.